The ninth day in the ninth lunar month of the Chinese calendar (October 14, 2021) is “Chong Yang Jie” (chong means “double” or “repeat” and yang means “bright, vital, active energy”) and is celebrated as Chrysanthemum Day and the Double Ninth Festival.
CELEBRATING CHRYSANTHEMUM DAY
Revered for its simple, perfect beauty and medicinal properties, the gorgeous yellow or golden chrysanthemum (“chu” in ancient Chinese) is highly regarded both for its color and for its symbolism of long life, enduring luck, love, and success. It’s also believed to ease the burdens of a difficult life when you wear an image of a chrysanthemum or keep the flowers displayed in your home.
Because it blooms from autumn into winter, it also symbolizes the mediation between Life and Death, Heaven and Earth.
To celebrate the day:
- Give chrysanthemums as auspicious gifts.
- Offer chrysanthemums as noble altar offerings.
- Drink chrysanthemum tea (known to clear toxins) or medicinal wine.
- Eat the traditional flower gao (cake).
- Place yellow golden chrysanthemums in your home or office to immediately attract good luck.
- If you wish to receive rewards, success, fame, recognition, honor, or bonuses, place nine chrysanthemums in the fame gua (back middle area of your space) on the first floor of your home, office, and/or business.
CELEBRATING THE DOUBLE NINTH FESTIVAL
With the presence of two number nines—the most yang number of all—today’s energies embody action, long-lasting change, transformation, and completion. This is a very auspicious day for harnessing active and positive energies as the yang qi is doubled!
This also makes it a fabulous day to perform a Feng Shui practice to manifest the wish of your heart using the power of nine:
- Beginning today on this auspicious festival, write (in red ink) a prayer or wish for your happiness, health, or prosperity nine times and place it in an Asian-style red envelope. Write the same wish every day for nine consecutive days. Read your wish nine times throughout each day, especially upon waking and before going to sleep. With clear intent and deep faith, visualize and feel your wish or prayer coming true. Imagine the nine steps that would transpire to see your wish actualized.
- You can also activate the yang energies by wearing purple, yellow, gold, and/or orange colors today.
In modern day China, this is also a day to honor and respect senior citizens. The word for “nine” is “jiu,” which shares the same sound as the word for longevity, so show love to your own elders as well as strangers.
For great fun, you could also watch the over-the-top film Curse of the Golden Flower, directed by Zhang Yimou and starring Gong Li, which has literally thousands upon thousands of chrysanthemum flowers in the settings and costumes.
Finally, traditionally this is a wonderful day to hike in the mountains, as it’s believed to represent climbing to a higher position as you symbolically increase your happiness, health, and prosperity!
Gwynne Allyn Warner is the founder of 10,000 Blessings Feng Shui and practices Black Sect Tantric Buddhist Feng Shui as a disciple of Grandmaster Professor Lin Yun. She was certified as an Advanced Feng Shui Consultant by Helen and James Jay of Feng Shui Designs. Gwynne began her studies in Buddhism in her early twenties while living in London where she became enamored with Kuan Yin and thereafter received her Bodhisattva Vows with His Holiness the Dalai Lama. Her expertise has been treasured by creative small businesses, service professionals, performing artists, Chinese medicine practitioners, healers, and interior designers among others. For more information and to sign up for her newsletter, please visit her website.
Posted by Amber Lotus Publishing on 5th Oct 2021