The Amber Lotus Story
A Mission-Driven Company
We approach every design with love and honor as we work with wisdom teachers and talented artists from around the world. Our desire is to create products that illuminate the sacred dimensions of everyday life — mindfulness, healthy living, creativity, and earth awareness. Sharing the diversity of world cultures and sacred traditions as well as the inspiration and beauty of the natural world is our passion.
Founded in 1988, our original purpose was generating funds to preserve the sacred culture of Tibet. While we still support Tibetan relief projects, we have expanded our mission and are continually guided by the principles of Right Livelihood — doing the greatest good with the least harm.
In 2008, we started planting trees to offset the environmental impact of our publishing activities. Each year we plant more than 20 times the number of trees used to create our products. As of January 2021, we have planted more than ONE MILLION trees through our partnership with Trees for the Future.
Today our team is an extended family of ten people, including a martial artist, a jazz singer, bibliophiles, musicians, writers, belly dancers, gardeners, bicycle enthusiasts, plus a whole host of talented, creative, inspiring contributors. We strive to consistently offer products that are authentic and distinctive to bring you a sense of the eternal by nurturing your heart, renewing your soul, and expanding your mind.
More About Amber Lotus:
- Achieves a carbon-negative status with our tree-planting initiative
- Chooses paper sourced from a combination of recycled materials and wood harvested from socially and environmentally sustainable forests and soy-based inks for our products
- Owned by a husband-and-wife team based in Portland, Oregon
- Showcases the texts of teachers and authors such as Thich Nhat Hanh, Eckhart Tolle, Pema Chödrön, the Dalai Lama, and Ram Dass
- Features exceptional work by artists and photographers such as Katie Daisy, Alex Grey, Geninne Zlatkis, Art Wolfe, and Kevin Horan
- Offers more than 80 calendars for 2022 and over 260 greeting cards
Read more about our sustainability philosophy — Half a Million Trees, Art, Commerce, and Service.
For more details about our ongoing efforts to become better earth stewards, see our Environmental Statement.